Monday, March 12, 2018

A One-Year Anniversary

Since I was about 15 years old, I have been a Diet Pepsi drinker. Never Coke products, and never any of the other Pespi products. I was a loyal and exclusive Diet Pepsi drinker. Of course, I cut back during the months I was pregnant with my three kids, and probably a couple of other times, too, but I always went back. At my worst, it would not be unusual for me to have 8 or 10 cans a day. Yeah, I was totally addicted. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, in-between, all evening, even before bedtime - it never mattered, anytime was a good time for another can of DP.


One year ago, on March 11, I decided I was not having another one. And I haven't.

Just like that.

I had been feeling a bit sick and somewhat bloated. The thought of pouring a carbonated beverage into my already queasy stomach was simply revolting. After about 3 days without having a single desire for a DP, I made a game of it - go another day; go another day; go another day. Before I knew it I had a week, then a month, then two, three and more. Eventually, I was just plain out of the habit. Instead of DP, I drank a lot more water, tea (no sugar), and those Crystal Lite packets mixed into bottled water. I did not miss the Diet Pepsi even once.


I think this achievement is definitely celebration worthy. (Cue "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang)



DH still drinks it, but has cut back considerably. Maybe three times in the last year upon hearing him crack open a can, I thought it just sounded so refreshing. A couple of times, I took a sip of his, and I was never interested in a second sip. I've lost my desire for it completely.


Can you imagine how much we are saving on our weekly grocery bill? I have never figured up what we were previously spending per week, but I don't think I am exaggerating when I "guess-timate" that we consumed 4 24-packs per week. Probably more. It was ridiculous how much of the stuff we drank. And the kids had all they wanted of it, too, as they were growing up. What a terrible example we were setting.

I'll have a water with my meal, thank you very much!*grin*

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Think of all the extra money you have for fabric now! Way to go and kick your addiction. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go !! I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is not an easy thing for anyone. Such a good thing to do for your body!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!