Monday, February 5, 2018

Snow Shoo Update

I purposely have not written or shared much on Snow Shoo as I am still in the grunt work phase. All 105 Shoo Fly blocks have been done for awhile and I have been focusing on the 105 Snowball blocks. To date I have 62 finished.


To break a big boring job down into doable parts, I generally try to make 10 blocks at a time. I sew all the corners onto the snowballs, and do an extra seam for the HSTs I am saving for later.


Then I take all 10 to the cutting table and trim off the HSTs. I also trim any wild threads from the chain piecing.



I get a nice big snowball and 4 tiny HSTs for my efforts. Fun in small doses. I just don't have the mindset to sit down and chain piece all 105 blocks. And, really, do I have a deadline?? NO. I can sew as I please in whatever method I please.


This stack is all 62 of my Snowball blocks; my method of doing 10 at a time somehow is off - must have miscounted two extras somewhere along the line.


I throw all the HSTs into a basket under the cutting table for a future project. I know what it will be and I will be eager to work on it. I may try the "leaders and enders" method of Bonnie Hunter.

Today Sharon and I are sewing together; she is hard a work on Shoo Fly blocks; perhaps I will get 10 or 20 more Snowballs done.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

  1. Great, you've got all the shoo fly blocks finished. I also sew a group at a time, life is just easier in smaller goals. I'm enjoying watching your progress but I am curious as to what you have planned with the small HST's. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!