Thursday, February 1, 2018

Hello February!



We are deep in the middle of winter according to the calendar, but actually our weather lately has been rather mild. I don't doubt that we will have more deep-freeze conditions and measurable snow, but these few sunny days in the 40s are quite tolerable. I'll gladly take them.

I begin this month with the task of completing those Snowball Blocks for the Snow Shoo quilt I am making. These are the easier of the two blocks in this quilt, so I intend to try to make quick work of them. I currently have 30 completed. I will need 105; still a ways to go.

In true queen-of-procrastination style, I found something else more fun to do. I cut into that new fabric I bought on Tuesday, and made this block last night. I am calling it Modern Star because of the more modern-style fabrics. I typically don't buy the fresh, graphic fabrics of the new designers coming on the scene. I have always gravitated more to traditional fabrics. My "outside the box" preference is Kaffe Fassett, and he's been around for awhile now. The new generation of designers mostly stymies me. While I follow a lot of them on Pinterest and Instagram, and I love many of their quilts, I have felt that using their fabrics is best left to the under-40 crowd.

However, a niggling desire to see what this "older gal" could do with fabrics totally outside her comfort zone. I succumbed to the uncontrollable urge to dive in late yesterday, and this block is what I have to show for my efforts.


Not too bad, I think. It was a pretty easy block to make, but I think the next thing I will make with these fabrics is something less busy. It seems to me that a cleaner, less fussy block might have a more striking effect.

Well, enough play for awhile. Now to focus on finishing those Snow Ball blocks. I have my two OU-C classes today, but the evening is free, so maybe I can whittle down that task.

I am linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday. Hope you have a chance to go have a look-see!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




4 comments:

  1. Well, I love your block, and don't buy into the idea that modern fabrics are only for certain age groups. I love the way that many of the new fabrics look like painted textures in children's picture book illustrations, and I love the bright colors. They don't "go with" anything in my house, but I don't care. They are fun to play with in my sewing room and the bright colors cheer me up when I have to reach for my seam ripper -- again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics you've used in this block are interesting. Can you make just one block and leave it alone? I'll be watching for more production, these would make a wonderful crib quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely block! It is so easy to get distracted by fabrics... :-D

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!