Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Way Back Machine

Through a series of conversations with some of my siblings (I am the oldest of 5), I went digging recently through some pictures from our childhood. I knew I had a few of these in  my possession, but it has been ages since I've seen them. I pulled a few out and took them with me to our Christmas Day get-together at Mom's. Lots and lots of reminiscing ensued, making the day extra special. As if Christmas with family isn't special enough, these pictures brought back some very sweet memories.


One tradition we had (although, I suspect we only did it a few years), was to climb into one bed on Christmas Eve at which time Mom would read to us. There is one particular book that captured our imagination, and we couldn't get enough of it. We wore it out from our constant reading and dreaming and imagining and wondering. The artist, I have discovered, was George Hinke, and his detailed drawings mesmerized us for hours. Waiting for Christmas was bearable with images like these to gaze at in wonder. These pictures provided a REAL look at Santa's workshop and how toys came to be!




Another tradition for us was waiting on Christmas morning to open presents. We were 5 kids separated by 6 years, age-wise. Do you think our mother had her hands full?? I can't even imagine. Our dad farmed and milked cows, so the milking had to be done first thing every morning, even on Christmas. Imagine the agony of having to wait until Daddy came in from the barn, clean up, and have a bite to eat. This w-a-i-t-i-n-g was pure torture for us! But Mom was clever, and managed us like a pro! We couldn't open presents until we were dressed. We had to have our teeth brushed and our hair combed. We had to open our stockings. Finally, when Daddy was ready, there was a much anticipated arrival at the door of the family room where the tree and presents were waiting! Magical! Mom always took a picture of us at the door. Sweet, precious memories here.


The photo is blurry. I should have worked harder at getting a clearer shot. Anyway, you see the 5 of us, getting our first glimpse of all that Santa left under the tree. Moments after this picture was snapped, I'm sure we raced to get a closer look and to open those packages!


This is a typical picture of circa-1960s Christmas goodies. We were always mystified by the abundance of presents, even though I know Mom and Dad were not indulgent with us. It seems like that back in those days Christmas was so much simpler, and we were satisfied with these fantastic things. Do make note of those stockings hanging off the backs of the chairs. I still have my stocking, and used it every year until about 5 years ago, when it was becoming just too fragile. I now display it every year like this.

My brother and sister still have theirs too, I believe. By the time the two youngest came along, this style was no longer available, so their stockings looked different.


Now, in the very early years, getting dressed was not a rule and pajamas were allowed, as Daddy didn't have cows at that time. I wonder who bossy-britches here is with her hands on her hips? I am definitely doing some tractor inspection, wouldn't you say? Alan, my next younger sibling, is taking a closer look at this fine piece of equipment. I have heard that vintage pedal-tractors like this are worth a lot of money these days to collectors. We have no idea whatever became of ours.

Well, that about wraps up my reminiscing for today. I have the Frankfort girls coming in tomorrow morning for some stitching and fellowship. After that, I think I will make some curtains for a window in the family room. More on that task as I get into it.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





3 comments:

  1. Sweet pics! My brother and I each had/have a copy of that same Santa book. It makes an appearance each year and I still enjoy looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne I loved these photos ..all of them precious. Thanks for sharing them...so much like my own Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these special Christmas memories. How lovely that you still have your stocking ☺

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!