Monday, April 10, 2017

Loose Threads Quilt Show - Part 1

On Saturday, DH and I picked up my mother in Hillsboro and then made our way down to Peebles for the Loose Threads Quilt Show. I have attended this show before, and wrote about it here. That was a special day, one that I am glad to reminisce about. It's also one of my all-time favorite blog posts. *grin*

This year's show was bigger and better. It really is readily apparent that the quilt club in Adams County is growing. Every pew in the church was covered! They still have a bed turning, but we did not stay for it. Uncle John and Aunt Nina came in and after visiting there with them for a bit, we opted instead to go to a local restaurant to be out of the way of the quilt show guests, and to converse more easily.

I will divide my material into two parts - this first part will feature the quilts by my cousin Marilyn. She has been making quite a name for herself as the resident expert applique quilter. I think her gorgeous quilt here will testify to that. The workmanship is exquisite.





Click on any of these pictures to get some closer views of the gorgeous  hand work as well as the custom quilting. It is truly an heirloom quilt. Marilyn said she got a book from the local library and added to the patterns offered to make a bigger quilt. She even made up some of the designs herself. Isn't it spectacular?

During the quilt show Marilyn demonstrated her method for applique work and she had quite a crowd around her table just about every time I went over to try to speak to her. I would love to have spent more time watching her work and learning about how she has perfected her technique. Note the wall hanging behind her; that's her work, too.

I will show you two other pieces of Marilyn's work on display at the quilt show. I don't know if I captured everything she entered, but it's a good representation.



The big quilt is colorful and scrappy, while the wall hanging is subdued and antique-like. Both very pretty and beautifully done.

Come on back tomorrow for part 2. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I will share what I did take.
Happy Quilting, Friends!





2 comments:

  1. Well, you made me blush with your kind comments about my appliqué. I'll tell you what I tell everyone else - it's not difficult you just have to have patience and practice. So glad that you, Kevin and your mom came to our show. I just wish we had more time to visit. Let's try to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Marilyn is very talented. Love her quilts. I am so anxious to have some quilts to show of my own again and also from the Crooked River Ranch show on July 4th and the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!