Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Value of Remnants

It is a well-known fact that sewing rooms become quite a repository for leftovers and scraps and whatnot; over time space is at a premium. But we quilters rarely discard these leftovers, for we know that someday there might be a use for them.

I can attest to this, first hand. I dug out some remnants a few days ago for the purpose of making one of two baby quilts on my list. I discovered that I had enough in that neatly-wrapped bundle to make an entire quilt.

This is cause for a happy dance.


If only I'd thought to take a picture of that little bundle of remnants. You'll have to just trust me that they were folded and stacked and tied together. It was like I knew I'd eventually want them. All the fabrics were the leftovers of a baby quilt I made about 2 years ago. That baby, now 2, has a new brother and he will be getting a quilt made of his sister's scraps. Below is Jackie's quilt.


Yesterday while Sharon was here to sew, I made quite a great amount of progress. Even though it was on my list, I really didn't have a clue that this is what I'd accomplish, but I am very happy that I did.



There was a significant amount of trimming and cutting to be done. Then I made as many 4-patches as I could. (Some are pieced to make them work.) My layout creates diagonal rows of color. I am currently chain-piecing the rows. and I hope that this will be a finish very soon. Hooray!

I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. I love when a quilt comes together like that. It was meant to be. :)
    Both are beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent four years using my scraps and stash making quilts with what I had. They are my favorite quilts. Love the zig zag with the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you found the bundle you were looking for! Or maybe it was just a happy coincidence. Either way, how special that both children will have "same but different" quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your four patches are so pretty! Love your scrappy sewing! I'm also sewing through my scraps...most of the time. I will be buying fabric for my sister's wedding quilt! Most of my scraps are my Leader Ender quilts and I love them! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!