Saturday, March 11, 2017

Antique Delights - Part 2

Today's installment of Miss Rebecca's wonderful quilts will feature two 2-color quilts in the Drunkard's Path pattern. My friend told me that her mother liked red, white and blue, and these two quilts illustrate that preference wonderfully.


The quilts look like carbon copies of the exact same pattern, yet the quilting on each one is done differently. Here are a couple of closer looks.


This red and white one is remarkable in that I did not see any sign of the red "bleeding" into the white. This indicates that it has been carefully laundered.

The blue and white one has an interesting quilting pattern, with those concentric circles in the design. That's one I've not seen before.  Here is a look at the corner/border.

This cable design caught my eye as it is similar to so many of the quilts my grandmother made. Perhaps this was trendy at some point? This picture also shows quilting stitches quite well on the back of the quilt. Very nice.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the age of these quilts? Based on the quilts I've seen over the years, and no particular expertise whatsoever, I am guessing middle part of the last century - say 1940s or 50s.

Both quilts are in very good condition, with no notable stains or wear and tear.

I have one addendum to the information in Part 1 of this series. In that first part, I said that nothing was known of the quilt makers, and I now know that one of those quilts was made by my friend's grandmother. Mrs. B. tells me that the second quilt featured, the one in better condition, was made by her grandmother. How nice for it to be so well-preserved.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. They are stunning! Beautifully kept. I particularly love the blue & white! They can be professionally documented in the Quilt Documentation Project, and they will give you approximate age based on the materials used, design and pattern. The quilts go on a database, where they can be seen, and you are given a tag to sew to the back of the quilt with it's number. Well worth it! Check it out online to find when they might do this in your area.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!