Sunday, August 14, 2016

Remember That Resolution?

It was back in January that I made the resolution to get a quilt quilted every month for the year of 2016. I am woefully behind in my goal, but the few that are quilted are some of my favorites and are no longer just hanging out in the closet never to be enjoyed.

Several weeks ago, I got two quilts back from Terry and even though I still need to get the binding on them, I thought I would take the time to let you see what is waiting in the wings for my attention. I am chomping at the bit to have them finished.

This scrappy 16-patch block with stars in the sashing is a pattern of my own invention. With no particular plan in mind, I hand stitched the blocks with random 2.5" squares over the course of several months. Most were done while sewing with the Frankfort Girls at our Friday morning get-togethers. When it became time to decide how to use the blocks, I thought of using navy sashing strips with off-white cornerstones. Then I came up with the idea of adding those triangles to each end of the sashing strips to make star points. Voila! I love how it all came together.

Eventide has a long history. The longest part of its past is the Roman Holiday fabric, which I'd had in the stash since the fabric came out - possibly more than 10 years ago. In the spring of 2014, I believe, I made the decision to use the Roman Holiday in the Eventide pattern by Miss Rosie's Quilt/Carrie Nelson. What a joy to make. The gorgeous fabric and the great pattern seemed like a perfect marriage. I am thrilled with this quilt.

Let's see them on the bed. Those pictures above were taken when Terry returned them to me from being quilted, and were unfolded in Sheryll's kitchen.

Do you notice the quilt or the cat first? I just didn't have the heart to disturb Gracie when I went upstairs to take the picture. My activity in the room did awaken her, though, and her look tells me she was none too thrilled about it.

Because Eventide is just so darn gorgeous, I will give you lots of different angles and closeups on it. No cat in sight, either.





To recap my resolution: January-Breath of Avignon; February-Scrappy 16-Patch; March-Eventide; April-Abby's Wedding Quilt; May, June, July, August - no quilts. Now the 'glass half empty' folks would find fault with 50% completion of a goal. I, however, am a 'glass half full' kind of gal, and I see 4 quilts done that otherwise would still be hanging in the closet. A goal was all I needed to get some quilts moved out of that closet and onto a bed.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


5 comments:

  1. Love both quilts, but Even tide is such a great pattern, love that you can use big prints in it and who doesnt love stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are two gorgeous quilts! I really love the way you created the stars in the sashing of your 16 patch quilt. I'm working on a 16 patch quilt right now and it would be fun to add that detail to my quilt. Did you make HSTs for those stars, or stitch and flip triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for finished! I think both quilts are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they're both just beautiful, but I especially love Eventide!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts - how nice to have two finishes!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!