Monday, May 16, 2016

Mini Quilts on the Walls

Hand quilting on the 6-pointed star quilt does not make for riveting blog posts, so I will show you a couple of quilt displays that I pass every time I walk into my sewing room.

Since retiring in 2009, I have made lots of little quilts. (That was a goal upon retiring: make stuff, and lots of it.) *grin*

Consequently, when figuring out how to store all of it, I have had to think outside the box. But not too far, actually, because quilters put their creations on the walls all the time. However, I just never thought about doing it upstairs in our hallway and in my sewing room. So let me show you.


The two pictures above are one wall of the hallway leading to the sewing room. The sewing room is further to the right in that second picture. Nearly all have been made and/or finished since retiring.

In the top picture we have the little 4-patch doll quilt that I made earlier this year on a whim. (Thanks to Pinterest!) And next to it is the Pincushion Stars also made earlier this year. These are the two newest quilts of the bunch.

Under Pincushion is Pink Lemonade, a quilt made in a QAL with Lori from Humble Quilts Blog. The small square star is made with Patriotic fabrics using a paper-piecing pattern. It's the oldest of the bunch; I made it years and years ago and gave it to my grandmother who kept it on her bar, often with a candle on it. Upon her death, it came back to me.

On the end, shown in the second picture is a Schnibbles quilt called Tagalong.

On the wall opposite are these two mini quilts, above. The one on the left is a Thimbleberries pattern, and the one on the right is Midnight Stars, another QAL from Humble Quilts.

 Standing in the doorway to my sewing room you see a design wall straight ahead. I have my hexie project up there and down below is a Lucy Boston block. Beside the design wall are more minis.

The brown and navy quilt is yet another Humble Quilts QAL called Midwinter Blues. Then there is my Friendship Wreath - remember when I made 8 of these at Christmas time for the Frienzies? This one was my prototype. Under those we have a little heart mini from a Thimbleberries pattern and a solitary star, an orphan block also from a Thimbleberries pattern. The two stacked minis are two versions of my own design used in the hand-piecing class I taught last year at Spark! Creative Space.

My hand quilting on the 6-pointed star continues as a respectable pace. I moved the quilt to a new section earlier today; that's always a satisfying accomplishment.

Tomorrow Sharon will be coming and I have no idea what I will work on. It's not like I don't have an extensive to-do list; I expect I will find something.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



3 comments:

  1. What an amazing wall of quilts...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minis make SUCH an impact when they're displayed en masse - love seeing all of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection of minis. They are beautiful. I need to do the same thing... gather my little quilts up and make a quilt collage. Do you have them tacked to the wall?

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!