Friday, November 20, 2015

We Were Racing

When Sharon was here on Tuesday, she spent all of her day quilting. You saw the red and white quilt a couple of days ago. She did that in the morning; in the afternoon, she quilted her race quilt which I saved for a separate post so I could pair it with my own race quilt which I made that afternoon. You will recall Sharon's race quilt top  by clicking here.

Machine quilting on regular sewing machines is a learned skill. Neither Sharon nor I have a lot of experience with it, but we are improving, as naturally one would with practice. Above, Sharon is doing the classic stitch-in-the-ditch.

 By late in the afternoon, Sharon had finished her quilting. She has some backing fabric left over, so very likely she will make the binding from that.

After finishing my Mondo Bag, I wondered aloud what I would ever do with the remaining Jelly Roll strips. Sharon suggested I make a race quilt with it, and without stopping to consider any other options, I just sat down and started. For whatever reason it seemed better to stitch than to think. Making a race quilt on Tuesday afternoon was the furthest thing from any of my plans, yet here we are - a quilt top awaiting borders.

I love it! Sometimes the most spontaneous efforts are the best, wouldn't you agree? This measures a long and narrow 31" x 61", so I really must figure out how to even out those measurements. Borders, for sure. But having something that will match this is a long shot. I will think on it for awhile. (There's a time for thinking and there's a time for action; now it's time for thinking.)


So, Sharon and I were racing on Tuesday afternoon. We had a most productive day, actually. She quilted two tops and prepped the binding for one. I finished my Mondo Bag and made a race quilt. Wish every day could be so productive.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!