Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Little Mondo

Christmas is long past, but I have intended to write about a gift I received from my dear friend and former co-worker, Kay. She is a proud member of the Frienzies group, and while we don't get to visit as often as we used to, we still have our monthly Frienzies get-together. She is a real gem. I hope everyone has a friend like her. She is so giving, caring, thoughtful - well, I am grateful to call her friend!

Kay has been a quilter since way back, and we found our common interest early in our teaching careers. She has made many, many quilts - some have worn out, and she's made replacements! She is prolific! And the trips we have made together to various quilting-related destinations! Oh my gosh! The stories we do tell! From lost keys to lost quilters, we have definitely had some adventures. Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, and of course Ohio. We have been to a lot of places for a lot of fun quilting experiences.

Oh, yes, the Christmas gift. Well, I want you to see what she made me for Christmas! A little Mondo bag!

Of course, it is made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Kay was the original KF girl in our group.

I have used this bag so much since receiving it. It is the perfect size for taking a project to Friday morning quilting with the Frankfort girls. I have taken it overnight both times I stayed with Mom when she had the cataracts removed. I just love it.

I'm holding the straps up here so you can see the shape better. The sunny window has distorted the color a bit, but you can still see its size.

Here is my original Mondo bag. I use it all the time, too. It has gone to the beach numerous times, and even just dashing over to my friend Cheryl's pool, it is handy to grab and go.

I made it with batiks - I had a package of Bali Pops, and just cut a gazillion 2.5" squares to make it. The pattern is offered in three sizes, I believe, and I have to think that it is popular with a lot of seamstresses. This post about my original Mondo bag gets the most frequent visits of any post I have ever done here on this blog. I think that when people do a search for 'Mondo Bag,' my blog post pops up.

Awhile back, Kay gave me another pattern for a big Mondo. I ought to get busy and make another one. She has a blue one in KF fabrics that looks very nice. But I can't do one, too, or we're likely to get them mixed up. Well, anyway, I just wanted to share my new little Mondo bag, and tell you a little about Kay.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!