Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Class Sample

I can finally show you what the participants in the SPARK! class will create if they sign up for the beginning quilting class that I am going to teach. I just finished off the binding this morning. It's not the most perfect thing in the world, but I keep telling myself "it's folk-art; it doesn't have to be perfect." I do plan to make another; perhaps I can clean up some of the imperfections.

This table topper or wall hanging measures 16.25" square. The 9-patches are made with 2.5" squares, and they are set together with 2" sashing strips and squares.

Like I said, I plan to make another one, using either Christmas prints or patriotic colors, and instead of using a template for quilting, I will try straight line quilting through the squares. I took way too long quilting this, and beginners will likely be discouraged. I think straight, diagonal lines will be preferable. Also, I will seek out a sturdier batting, as the scrap I grabbed has left me with a limp table topper, and I would really prefer something with more sturdiness about it.

I suppose that is why we make samples - to work out the unwanted kinks we encounter. Trial and error. These mistakes - or improvements, however one views them - will be useful material to share with my beginning students, too.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!