Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Commissioned Quilt

Back in January or February, I was commissioned to do a T-shirt quilt for a woman who's daughter would be graduating from college in May. Well, I have kept the quilt under wraps so as not to ruin any surprise, but the quilt is soon to be delivered and the quilt will be gifted soon after. This makes me think that anyone seeing this blog is not very likely going to spill the beans about the quilt; I've decided to be daring!

This is a whopper of a quilt! It ended up being about 92"square, 5 blocks x 5 blocks. And because it is made of T-shirts, it is super heavy. So it will definitely keep a girl warm, no doubt about it! I was given lots of shirts, and used as many as I could. I make my blocks 15" square, and several of the blocks in this quilt are made of several shirts. In addition, I fussy cut smaller designs and incorporated them into the border. I do hope the recipient is touched my her mother's thoughtfulness. And I hope they are pleased with the way the shirts came together in this quilt.

This is about the 5th T-shirt quilt I've done, and I enjoy doing them. I do have DS's T-shirt quilt upstairs - a 13-year-old UFO. I really ought to get that thing finished!

I suppose you remember the one I did for my brother, who gifted it to his boss? You can click here to read about it.

This quilt is 4 blocks x 4 blocks. It was much more straightforward, except for those little blocks in the top center. That was sort of a bugger to fit together.
Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Wow ! what an incredible undertaking. Looks wonderful. I guess I should try one of these, have been nervous about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I bet the mother and the daughter will both be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne I love the way you added some of the motifs to the border - that really added to the memories for her and makes the border a perfect addition. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!