Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hand Piecing

I believe I have confessed in earlier posts that I do love to hand piece. Over the years I've completed maybe 3 large quilt-tops the 'old-fashioned way.' With the speed and accuracy of our new-fangled gadgets, very few quilters are willing to take the time to piece by hand. I find that it is perfect for evenings when watching TV, or when traveling. When the kids were younger, I took hand-piecing projects to track meets, and to work on in the car when waiting on them after play practice or whatever.

On one trip to Europe, I packed a zip-lock freezer bag with circles, needle, thread and clippers to make yo-yos. That was fun.

So, I do enjoy handwork.

Over the past several sessions I've had with my girlfriends in the Frankfort group, I've had my little box of 2.5" squares. Originally, I was strict about making 9-patches. After a time, though, I ran out of enough matching fabrics to get a decent 9-patch, so I switched off and began making scrappy 16-patch blocks. Here are some of my recent blocks.


I know you are wondering what I am going to do with them, and I don't rightly know at this point. I had given some thought to adding flying geese points to these blocks, thus making them the centers of stars. I still might do that. But, honestly, I don't really know. I will just make more, and let ideas percolate for awhile. I think we all do that, don't we?


Here are 2 recent 9-patches. They are such fun to make and go together so fast. I will definitely be making more. I don't yet have enough made for a good-sized quilt top, so I'll keep stitching!

Teaching at OU-C has seriously cut into my quilting and sewing time, so while these little blocks don't seem like such a big deal, they are about all I can accomplish with the limited time I've got. Now, I do have a couple of large quilts going, too, but I haven't been able to touch them this week at all. I had hoped that one would be ready for the long-arm by now. The other I think I will share with you -- tomorrow!!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have several things percolating on the back burner, some day I'll figure out how to finish them. My hand sewing project right now has been a Seven Sisters block. Gonna be real long term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be fun to see what these blocks do become when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!