Thursday, October 17, 2013

Faithful

A week or so ago, I was reading one of my favorite blogs - Humble Quilts. Lori, the blogger, offers some great quiltalongs several times each year, and I have had fun making a few of them. Here are pictures of the projects I have made in the Humble Quilts quiltalongs.

Abundance
 
Midnight Stars
 
Pink Lemonade
So, when I saw that Lori was doing a new quiltalong, and that it was full of scrappy goodness, I decided that I would join in. If you would like to read the blog post that provides the first set of directions for the project, just click here. Then you can go back to earlier posts to see tidbits about it, too. She calls the project Faithful, and it just looked like it would be a lot of fun to make. Here we go!


I pulled my 6.5-inch-already-made block. I explained yesterday how that it was really closer to 6-3/8 inches, but I figured I could make it work. I can't explain why this look so red, because it is in reality burgundy. I did some photo editing, but never could get the color to look true.

Next, I had to cut a border, so that is where the Paula Barnes red floral (mentioned yesterday) came in.


This was to be a border around the center block. Here we go!


This was simple, easy and fun, so I kept going. Lori's next step has us creating a pile of little half-square triangles. I used scraps from the leftovers of Carson's Courtyard, which I made a couple of months ago. Because CC was a rather dark quilt, I need to add in some lights.


Now, the next step is to create strips of triangles which will be attached all around the block. If everything is measuring correctly, I would need 2 strips of 8 HSTs, and 2 strips of 10 HSTs. However, because I was trying to "fudge" with a somewhat smaller original block, I only needed 9 instead of 10. It seems to look okay, at this stage, so I am plowing ahead.

After the row of triangles, we are to add another solid row, and this time I chose a reproduction gold-ish yellow. Again, I am unhappy with the color in the picture, and I just don't get what I am doing wrong. (Maybe I should use a regular camera instead of my phone.)


This is where I stopped, but the next step is to add another row of triangles, somewhat bigger than those in the first row. I will try to get those made and added soon.

This is a fun and happy little block, and I love the scrappiness of it. Scrap quilts - there's just something about them that seems homey and loved. Maybe because our grandmothers made scrappy quilts from dresses and shirts out of necessity, we have a special fondness for them.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!