Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Way-Back Wednesday - 8

This week we will take a look at one of my oldest quilts. Grandma gave it to me about 25 years ago, saying she was unsure exactly who made it. She believes it was made by one of her grandmothers, as she is fairly certain she was given it by her mother.


A great-great-grandmother on my mother's side, then, made this Double 9-Patch quilt. It is in remarkably good shape for a quilt that is easily over 100 years old, and quite possibly closing in on 150 years old.

Here's the thinking for dating this quilt: Grandma's two grandmothers were Louisa Neptune Wood (b. 1853) and Mary Angelina Smedley (b. 1847). If either of these women made this quilt, I will guess they were making quilts from their 20s through their 60s, then the quilt is at least 120 years old, for sure.

Grandpa was still living when I was given this quilt, and I remember his comment. He referred to the pieces as being the size of a postage stamp, and he went on to  recall his mother piecing similar small pieces. It was so out of character for him to make such a remark, and for that reason it struck me as noteworthy. 

 
The colors are a very pleasing pink and gray/brown, predominantly. There are some blocks that have other colors, but they blend well with the overall pink-gray/brown palate.



The quilting is exquisite. Here are some close-up shots of how close the quilting is, and how pretty the designs are.




The border is very simple, yet it also is in keeping with the pink and gray/brown theme.

I would love to have someone well-versed in dating quilts give me more details on this quilt.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!