Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day

Today's weather couldn't be more perfect for welcoming in the month of May. The sky is as blue as can be, new leaves are fluttering in the pleasant breeze, and the birds are trilling sweetly across the yard.

Happy May Day!!


Here is our lilac bush doing it's magic. Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers, and I can't get enough of the scent. Bouquets are scattered around my house, for their bloom doesn't last long, and they'll be finished before you know it.

Back on March 6, that bush looked like this.


What a difference 2 months makes. I love the change of seasons, and even though it would be nice to winter in Florida or some warmer place, I would miss the seasons. Ohio suits me just fine, thank you very much.

In quilting news, I have nothing to show you from my machine, but a few things from the girlfriends. You know, we Frienzies are making a wedding quilt for Hettie's daughter Kaitlin. The post about that can be viewed by clicking here. Well, in making those stars, we had to cut away triangles. We saved them - no purpose - just saved them. Take a look at what Sherrie did with them! Surprise!


Sherrie is noted for being a meticulous machine piecer, and this looks like it couldn't be any more perfect.


She opted to go with the softer colors, and so still has quite a few pinwheels left.

Kay had a show and tell for us to enjoy. She has done at least 2 stack and whack quilts - possibly more, and this one looks fantastic.


I know at one point, she was really disappointed in the way the Kaffe 'Target' fabric was working, but I think she must have worked out her frustrations, because this looks great.  Now, check out her backing.


Fun, isn't it? The leftover blocks down the middle, and the pops of yellow flanked by more target fabric - just really fun.


And I wanted you to see the great loopy quilting that our friend Linda Z. did. So nice. I have never had a particular urge to do a stack and whack quilt, but maybe I ought to change my mind, know what I mean?

This quilt is a UFO that Sherrie brought out to finish. The colors are so rich, and the pattern looks like fun, but the reason it became a UFO, Sherrie says, is the lack of directions for pressing. When blocks were joined and rows were formed, some very lumpy intersections resulted, and it was bad enough for Sherrie to throw it in a closet and forget about it. I understand that frustration, but I am so glad she got it back out to finish. It's nearly done!

I got a closer shot of the quilt, and here you can see the blocks and the colors are a bit more distinct. I think it has a "rich" look to it - jewel tones, perhaps give it that sumptuous look.

Well, that's all I've got for today, quilters. I posted every single day in the month of April. I am thinking I am not going to be quite as faithful about it this month. I will be frequent, but not daily - how does that sound? I'm off to do some stitching!

Happy quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Your lilac bush looks great! What a difference two months makes. We're having a very warm and extended autumn here in South Australia. The extra long hot summer has bumped autumn deep into May. I agree, I love having four distinct seasons. Our winters are cool and wet, not frozen and snowy, but I love them most. I may have to visit Ohio one day! Actually visiting "middle" America is more appealing to me than huge overcrowded metropolis!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!