Monday, April 22, 2013

Loose Thread Quilters Show

You may have read about my big day on Saturday when my mother and grandmother and I went to a quilt show. I related that memorable tale in this blog.

I promised that I would highlight the quilts in the show, particularly those in the "Bed Turning" that I mentioned in the earlier post. Without further ado, let's get to it!


I was really enthralled by the Bed Turning, as I'd never seen one before. These are in order of how they were shown. There was a pleasing mixture of antique and new quilts, as well as those from beginners to masters. Often, there were many hands involved in them, and several were purchased at yard sales or auctions.


That bottom one on the left is the one my grandmother made for my great aunt and uncle's wedding in 1949.



The bottom quilt on the right in this collage is the quilt show's "Viewer's Choice" voted by those attending the show. The three ladies pictured with it are the owner, the piecer and the quilter (I think I recall that correctly!). Please, girls, if you leave me a comment to correct me, I won't mind!! **Correction!! The Piecer, The Appliquer and The Quilter! I have it straight now! Thanks, Sylvia!

And now I will show you some of the quilts in the show, as well as other highlights. There was quite a variety.


The first panel of this collage features a "puff quilt" or "biscuit quilt" that my young protege, Erin was working on when she came over for some help a couple of weeks ago. Click here if you want to read about it. The picture on the top right shows an apron collection of one of the guild members. It was quite extensive, and included books and patterns in addition to the actual aprons. I thought Sharon O., one of the Frankfort girls, as she has a fondness for aprons.

Both pictures on the bottom of the above collage are of the patriotic theme that members participated in. The entries were widely varying. Below is a collage of the actual quilts in the show. They were draped over the sanctuary pews, which made it quite easy for attendees to get up close to view each entry.


The Loose Thread Quilt Guild meets the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at the Peebles United Methodist Church from 10am-2pm. I think they are a relatively young guild, and still growing, but they have lots of fun activities and seem to have a genuine rapport with each other. This show was their second annual event, and their theme is "Sharing the Joy of Quilting" - and from the looks of things in the short visit we made, I think they are succeeding very nicely in that effort.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



1 comment:

  1. Jayne,
    So glad you enjoyed out quilt show. We have a fantastic group of quilters. I loved reading about you seeing your grandmother's quilts that were stored in the trunk! Loose Thread Quilters is not a guild. Just a club! We have a blast since we don't have to follow the protocol of a business group. The photo of the winning quilt was the piecer, the appliquer, and the quilter. Fun project. Keep making happy stitches,
    Sylvia Baker

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!