Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Turtle Baby Quilt

Water creatures must be the theme lately for baby quilts. While I was busy working away on Kissing Fish for my friend Vickie's due-in-July granddaughter, my Frienzie Kay was working away on this quilt for our mutual friend, Emily, who's baby is due very soon.


Kay machine appliqued the turtles with their variety of specks, swirls and stripes, along with all the stars and other whatnot onto this great striped fabric. As if that wasn't character enough, the quilter, Linda, did a magnificent job of quilting it! Each element is treated specifically for effect, and the swirling look of water in the background fabric is perfect. If you look closely, you see that many Kaffe Fassett fabrics are used in this unique quilt. I love how the variety works together so perfectly for this quilt.


This picture shows the borders and the backing. Kay used a nice mix of batiks and Westminster fabrics. Here are a few more views and close-ups.



 
 
I apologize for the wacky coloration on all of these. The pics were taken in 3 different rooms of 2 different houses. lighting does makes a huge difference. Kay tells me that "ownership will be transferred on Saturday," but Emily has seen it, and I am not ruining any surprise by featuring it here a few days early. Emily actually went to the fabric store and selected the pattern and the fabrics. Isn't it fantastic?

Today, I finished reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I am looking forward to our meeting tomorrow evening. Tomorrow after class, I will be going to Terry's to sew, which makes me glad I got the reading done today.  I have a full day scheduled, don't I? Class, then sewing at Terry's, then book club. I have no idea what I will work on tomorrow while at Terry's. I am heading up to the sewing room now to figure it out.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!