Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Aunt Margaret - Quilt #1

My mother's younger sister Margaret has sent me some pics of quilts that Grandma made. This will be my first effort at gathering pictures from family members for the purpose of adding to my record of "Grandma's Quilts" up there in the bar at the bottom of the header.



Margaret sent 4 pictures of this first quilt. It was made in early in the 1960's, as Margaret graduated from high school in 1961. All the flowers are made from Margaret's dress scraps, and the fabrics are all from the late 1940's through early 1950's.


Margaret said she always liked this fabric with the Western themed motifs - an Indian in a canoe, a bucking horse and cowboy are 2 that I can identify. It's hard for me to imagine that this was a dress, however!


Here are 2 more flowers. I like that paisley! The graphic one on the right looks interesting -- maybe a country scene?


Here you can see where Grandma replaced part of the border. Margaret said she used this quilt so much that she wore out the entire top border. So Grandma replaced it -- the darker green is the new part. Not a bad repair job, if you look at that wonderful quilting! Margaret said the repair was likely done in the 1970's.

And, did you notice?? The standard pattern that Grandma most often used on borders -- the cable pattern that she traced from a cardboard template.

So this is the first of several quilts that Aunt Margaret is sharing with me. I will try to post them in a timely manner. And, if this works out well, I will move on to other aunts and then cousins to do the same.

We three were together a week ago at the Ohio State-Indiana football game in Bloomington, IN. Uncle Nick took this picture of us. I'm the one on denim; Mom is in back; Aunt Margaret is in front.

Go Buckeyes!


Happy Quilting, Friends!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jayne, love those fabrics!! That chartreuse and dark green fab looks so familaiar! I'm going to check my 50's quilts to see if there is any cross over. cheers, Claire W.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!