Wednesday, May 16, 2012

To-Do List: Item 2

In keeping with the goal of checking items off my list, I need to bring you up to date on the quilting we are doing in the Frankfort group. Last time we met, only 4 of  us were in attendance, and even that was a surprise, as I was originally scheduled elsewhere. (I will explain that in tomorrow's To-Do List: Item 3.)

So here are some projects from the hands of my Frankfort friends. Such talented ladies, they are. And prolific!!


This happy combination of yellow and blue is the product of Sharon O.'s hands. She was our hostess on this particular Friday morning, and since I was first to arrive, I got to hear a really inspiring story on this quilt.

Sharon is a breast cancer survivor. I believe she said her diagnosis was 11 years ago. At the time of the diagnosis, she and her husband were in the final stages of finishing their dream house and living in their basement with only a microwave for cooking. Her doctors forbid her to do any strenuous work with her arms, so she said all she could think to do was stitch by hand. The mind-numbing cancer news coupled with the impending move made concentrating on anything difficult, so she went to JoAnn Fabrics, bought 4 kits and began stitching.

Since those dark and scary days, she has finished 2 of the 4 quilts. Since each was hand-pieced, she said she felt as though they all needed to be hand-quilted, as well.

What a tribute to cancer survival!! Isn't that a wonderful story? Quilting in one's darkest hours is surely something many of our forbears did, and today we continue to find comfort and solace in the simple act of pushing a needle and thread through fabric.

Ahhh, I love yellow and blue quilts.


Sheryll had a UFO that needed the finishing touches added to it. The buttons, and maybe some other decorative stitches needed to be applied and this would be done. Even the binding was finished. Getting a Christmas project done in May - now that is a wonderful thing.

Terry worked on marking diagonal lines across a 'gi-normous' stack of squares. I should have taken a picture of it, as well as the project she was prepping for, but alas, I did not. Neither did I take a picture of the new hand-quilting project I began this Friday morning.  I was so pumped to have finished the Tagalong Schnibbles, I decided to grab another one out of the closet and get to stitchin' on it. I chose Darcy, which you can see by clicking here, if you are curious. I made Darcy way, way back in May of 2010. (I must like my quilt tops well-aged, like fine wine!) *wink*

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!