Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thinking Pink

This morning Columbus hosted the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My ride picked me up at the ungodly hour of 6am, we met the rest of the crew, and off we went. What a great day!

The account I heard was that 50,000 walkers and runners were expected for this event. It is the most incredible thing to see in the middle of a major metropolitan area - that many people filling the streets as far as the eye can see.

I walked on a team called the Buckskin Angels. Buckskin Township, Ross County, Ohio, is where I live; Buckskin Elementary is the small, rural school where my 3 children attended when we moved here in 1992. Two Buckskin teachers have lost their breast cancer battle, while two others are survivors. This is such a tight-knit little school, the rest of the staff, many local residents and others have formed this team to honor those we've lost and those who are survivors.


 This happy gal is our team captain, JoAnn, a survivor. Don't you just love that pink wig?


This is the group of girls I play cards with. Three of them teach at Buckskin, while one is the cafeteria lady for the district, another is just close through friendships, like myself. We look extremely cheery for 7-ish on a Saturday morning, don't we?


Picture a sea of people in the street as far as the eye can see. In this photo, they get lost in the haze off in the distance.


As  many people as there were in front of us, there were just as many behind us! Again, the crowd fades into the horizon, but that is a mass of people all the way to the distance.

At the end of the race, the survivors walk through their own finish line. Here are JoAnn, our captain, and Debbie, a friend from Greenfield. It is so touching to see the survivors getting such support from everyone. I dropped more than a couple tears through this very moving event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!