Thursday, May 24, 2012

Signature Quilt

My second signature quilt is completed - well, this is still a quilt top. I will get it to my quilting friend ASAP. (My first signature quilt commemorated my grandmother's 90th birthday back in 2007. I thought I had some pics of it, but I'm coming up empty...I do know how to fix this though! *grin* )


This is from Mom's 75th birthday celebration back in October. I worked on it some in the fall, then two things side-tracked me. First, I realized that I wasn't going to have enough of the fabric I planned to use. Second, Christmas snuck up on me!

I had 3 charm packs of Fig Tree fabrics -- two of one line, one of another. (Mill House Inn was one of them. Not sure I can remember the other.) Well, I did a bad job of estimating how much I would need, and since both lines of fabrics are long out of stock, I spent some time 'stewing' about how to proceed. I ended up using complimenting fabrics from my stash. The result is that I have a very scrappy, cottage-y, floral-y quilt. I think Mom will like it.


This view might make the pattern a bit more visible. I had the folks who attended the party sign a 3.5" square piece of muslin. Then I cut triangles out of the charm squares and created a square in a square block that measured approximately 4.5". The work was pretty easy, but I was inventing it as I went - there was no pattern to follow; only what I was envisioning in my head. (that spells trouble, don't you know!!)

So that is finished. Whew. I had hoped to have it all done by Mother's Day. Oh well.

While at Sharon's Monday, I worked on this and Sharon worked on some home dec projects before returning to her Bursting Stars. No new pics of that, but I will show you a pretty yo-yo topper she had on her china cabinet.


And, it's been nearly a year since you met Rose, Sharon's puppy. She is growing up!


Since sewing on Monday, I have had a different sort of project.  I had to read our book for book club which is later tonight (Thursday). I read this about 6 years ago and loved it, so was very happy when the group agreed to read it. I am enjoying it all over again!


Back to quilting and sewing tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. Your Mum will be thrilled with her quilt I bet. As you say it looks very soft an sort of country-cottagey to me too.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!