Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Isn't This Cool?

A couple of days ago, I showed you all the purple and gold Bento Box quilt I made for my DD Emma. She is a recent high school graduate, and these are her school colors.


Quite by coincidence, a fellow blogger, Wanda at Exuberant Color, was doing her own Bento Box quilt. Wanda loves Kaffe Fassett fabrics (Westminster Fibers) possibly more than I do, and while I used batiks in mine and stayed with 2 colors, she went for all the vibrancy that comes naturally when using Kaffe's fabrics. Take a look:




I think it is so cool to see the vastly different look of these 2 quilts using the same pattern. Whoa!

One aspect of quilting that never ceases to impress me is the way fabric choice and color placement can change a pattern. If 10 quilters took the same pattern, made their own decisions about fabrics and colors, and then brought their finished quilts together, why the differences would be significant. I love that about quilting!

In a way, I illustrated this notion back in March when I showed everyone the retirement quilts that my group of former co-workers have made. We always use the same pattern when one of us retires, but the resulting quilt is remarkably different! Click here and here to see our retirement quilts. Coincidentally, mine is in Kaffe fabrics!

Thanks, Wanda, for sharing your Bento Box!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy both of your blogs and it was fun seeing your two versions on the same day. You're so right about the variations possible as soon as more than one person gets involved with a single project. That indeed is so much of the fun of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that one of the main reasons I find quilting so fascinating is seeing the difference the choice of fabrics can make to the same quilt. In fact a friend and I were talking about this the other day, and she suggested that we should make each other's recent quilts, but in our own fabric choices. We think that could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!